Blog Description

These are the ramblings of just one person on this overly populated planet. She has some free time, and has decided to "blog." Prepare to roll your eyes and waste completely useful seconds of your life!

Friday, August 19, 2011

Nuestra Adventura!!!

Well, my non-existent readers-  Today's little blog is about my most recent adventure in wedding planning!!  If you haven't already guessed it, planning a wedding SUCKS.  It takes a lot of money, time, money, creativity, people, and money to pull off one of these shin-digs, and did I mention all the money?

One of the smart things to do is plan everything in advance- give yourself at least a year, ladies, to plan every detail.  Hence, why I've started planning for my little March 2012 wedding in June 2011.  Anyway, to my adventure:  the wedding cake...

Pricing on these things is just sooooo overblown, it's ridiculous!!!  Even the consultation to MEET the bakery costs money!!  (In this case, $25.00)  I've been looking to stop by at The Cake Lady for a month.  Today was my appointment, and boy, did it not go very well...

See, she *had* two stores open:  one in Camden (closer to me) and one in Columbia.  Oh Lordy, did I have a little thrill of panic rip thru me when I went into Camden, and the lovely little bakery was GONE!!  Only empty shelves and a 'for lease' sign left.  My mom didn't get it until I explained, yeah, this empty space was my bakery.  *whimper*  The store owner in the next shop said they had been closed for a week...

Since I didn't have my phone, (forgotten at my mom's house) I couldn't find the number, but the sweet shop owner found it, and I made a call.  Turns out, The Cake Lady still had her Columbia shop open, and couldn't get ahold of me for an entire week.  *face palm*  I thought I gave her the right number, hell, I thought I gave her my email too.  I don't know...

So we reschedule for an hour later to just GET to Columbia, and finally make it into our appointment.  Here is where the experience gets a little better.  We show her a picture of a steampunk themed wedding cake, and tell her we want cupcakes instead (which my mother doesn't approve of, but hell it's my wedding).  We get a quote, try out some very interesting flavors, and go on to shopping!  


This is my mom at the cake tasting!!!

So the flavors we tried in order of the best:
  1.     The OBAMA!!   yup, you read right...The OBAMA CAKE!!  Chocolate coffee and OMG good!!!
  2.     Strawberry-banana
  3.     Apple Jelly with Caramel icing AND OMG I just realized what I ate to hurt my stomach!!
  4.     Rum & Coke cake - needs way more rum and less coke, please
  5.     Banana faust or something like that
  6.     Butter cake with buttercream frosting
  7.     Lemon yuckiness
She was out of coconut *pout*.  So, we tried cake, had WAY too much sugar in our systems, drank a TON of water, and went on our way.  Brought home some slices for J-Baby, who scarfed down the Obama and strawberry-banana, and still whined that I hadn't fed him real food.  Excuse me, I had dinner with my folks at Applebees!  Score!  The waiter was adorable!

Which reminds me, I finally met face to face with the Catery On Broad people and will FINALLY set an appointment next week to try their food!!  More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment